Friday, May 28, 2021

Afterword - Temple of Terror game for the ZX Spectrum

 Heya,

 Thanks for the enthusiastic comments and of course all the friendly BOMs. I have done my play through of The Rings of Kether, write up has begun. Permit me to say: Rings is an odd one.

Last post I made liberal use of screenshots from a ZX Spectrum adaptation of Temple of Terror as a text adventure. There's a full playthrough on YouTube here:

CLICK ON SERPENT GUARD


My first computer was a Speccy 48K and so I have strong nostalgia for this era of gaming, though I've never played the Temple of Terror text adventure itself.  I can't exactly recommend the video, especially considering that in true Spectrum fashion, the entire soudtrack is just a harsh grating beep that plays for each and every key-press. Nevertheless if you're a true Pit Friend like me, it may hold some interest to see how the gamebook was adapted to text adventure format, where there is greater freedom of options and no combat system. Surprising options such as KICK SAND AT SERPENT GUARD become available!

 

 


8 comments:

  1. KICK SAND IN THAT WEAKLING'S FACE AND LAUGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe KICK SAND AT SERPENT GUARD would have been the next Fall album had Mark E Smith not died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of the ZX Spectrum from the 80s. It made an alarming noise, like a washing machine on spin-cycle, while trying to load from a cassette tape. The system generally took 5 minutes to load a title screen picture and slowly colour it, then about 15 seconds to load the actual game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it's done!
    Probably about halfway through the write up atm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This computer game version of Temple of Terror is impossible to complete. There is a bug at the very end of the game, which you can see in the video playthrough above.

    ReplyDelete